Saturday, August 11, 2007

The weather gods have smiled upon us...

Finally! A beautiful, gorgeous, warm day! I couldn't believe it. Of course, everyone took advantage of this fine weather to go outside and generally enjoy life.

Without Friday classes, I was able to wake up at the crack of noon, go outside and take my laundry down from the clothesline (my clothes smell great, but I think maybe the soap or the sun made them a little starchy). Then Andrew came over and we went to the Dunedin Botanic Garden, which is just a 10 minute walk for me, but is right out Andrew's back door.

It was a little windy out, but still not enough to deter me from wearing just a t-shirt and shorts, along with flip flops, for the first time since I've been in NZ. The gardens were great, with a ton of trails through different types of forest, an aviary, rock garden (not a garden for rocks, apparently, but lichen and moss - sadly all the rocks were the same), and a fantastic sandwich place, among other things.

With any luck, it'll stay this way tomorrow, and I'll maybe get another change to hike up Mt. Cargill...the same place where a bunch of us hiked up a few weeks back, only to get to the top and be in a rainy cloud (as opposed to a dry cloud?). But with the nearly unpredictable weather we have here, I can't count on it; I'm enjoying the warmth while it lasts, because next week it'll just be in the 40s and cloudy again, no doubt.

No comments: