Thursday, November 1, 2007

Qtown Redux

Sorry for the delay, but I couldn't post this without pictures. Queenstown was fantastic, as to be expected. A few notes:
  • We stayed in an incredible condo with views overlooking Lake Wakatipu. Many thanks to Andrew's parents for putting me up, of course. Amenities abounded, including a fireplace, heated tile floors and towel racks in the bathroom, bathrobes, and most importantly at the time of our arrival in the afternoon: satellite television, which meant, of course, I could watch a little of the Red Sox owning the Rockies in Game 1. That made me happy, particularly since Andrew and his parents put up with my excited delirium at the Sox doing so well.
  • My second trip up the Skyline Gondola on the hill/mtn. above Queenstown was really nice, once again. The weather was picture perfect.
  • There's nothing better than waking up in the morning and sitting outside in the sun with a cup of tea and a good book, with the expansive Lake Wakatipu and Remarkables towering in front of you you.
Easily the highlight of the trip was going to dinner at a smaller restaurant on the (relative) outskirts of town, recommended by a local. It's called Vknow Restaurant (a well-deserved name) and if there were ever a restaurant I would recommend to someone visiting NZ, it's this one. It's owned and operated by a husband and wife - he serves and handles wine, she's the chef. Even though the husband handled a full restaurant of about 30 people by himself, the service was exceptional and attentive. Throughout the several courses of our meals, he would come by with a different wine that best goes with the particular course - I can easily say I've never enjoyed or appreciated wine as much as I did that night. The wine list was clever, too, organized into sensible categories by quality. For those may know NZ wine, we had Quartz Reef Pinot Gris, Ngatarawa Silks Chardonnay, Akarua Rose, some Bollinger NV with desert, and I believe there was one other wine...maybe a Cabernet Sauvignon? I'm not sure. Regardless, a great night with some delicious food and fine wine.

No comments: