Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Final Countdown

I'd link to a video of GOB on Arrested Development, but apparently it's been deleted. I'm actually shocked that I didn't use that as the title for this post - it would probably have made more sense to switch titles. It's funny how much someone changes the music they listen to over time - back in the middle of June, I was obsessed with the Traveling Wilburys. The last couple months though, I've listened to a lot of reggae, and most recently, OK Go, The Strokes and Nirvana.

Anyway, this will be my last post from New Zealand. I take off roughly 12 hours from now, and my packing's pretty much all set, thankfully. The flat inspection went off without a hitch (and damn well should have, compared to the state some others are in), leaving me home free. I couldn't possibly begin to wrap up my feelings and thoughts about leaving here and now - I may try to think about that on the plane from Auckland or later - because trying summarize now would be too short-sighted.

Here are two things that I know I'm going to miss. First off, jazz night on Thursdays at the Robert Burns Pub down on George St. Every Thursday, me and some friends converge on 'the Burns,' or 'the Robbie,' as it's called, to enjoy a nice pint of Monteith's Black or Emerson's Pilsner (one of NZ's best beers) and some conversation. The Pub is full of Dunedin's history - mostly from the list of owners dating back to the mid-1800s etched in the mirror above the bar, and the presence of poems written by Robbie Burns, Scottish poet, on the walls. The Quartet is fantastic, particularly the drummer, who'll make you do a double take when you see that old white guy sing just like Louis Armstrong.

The other thing? The culture of hospitality surrounding Pat, Rob and Xander's flat. I'd mentioned it before in passing, and really, it became an institution. A sunny blue sky was our Bat Signal for barbecues, and every Monday was Poker Night, where 8-16 of us got together to play some Texas Hold 'Em. Their end-of-finals barbecue was the perfect send off for the semester.

Alright, that's it for me, for now. Next up on my plate is a 5 days in paradise - also known as Pomona College. I'll try to check in from there if I can manage it between the laying around and doing nothing and the running around catching up with friends.

No comments: