Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Dunedin Shenanigans

So I thought I would keep up with more of the Dunedin cultural stuff with a couple other interesting things going on in these parts.

First of all, the bi-annual Cookathon was on Friday. It's held at the Cook (it's that student bar I mentioned way back in July), which is conveniently close to campus. It's a great place to go hang out, especially when it isn't crowded (i.e. not Thursday-Saturday nights), and me and my New England friends even went there at 1:30 on a Tuesday afternoon to watch the Pats on MNF, which was pretty awesome, obviously. Lemme tell you, Kiwis sure do look at you funny when you're cheering for American football.

Anyway, steering back to the Cookathon, it's an all-day party, basically, where you pay $20 at 10 a.m. and you get a pint, 3 meals and a t-shirt. That's quite a deal, and the scarfies (Uni students) gobble it up, and go all out with costumes themes. It's really hard to get in at all on those days - the picture of the people outside is from 1:30 pm! Note the cop. I would've loved to go to this - Andrew and I had even been planning on it - but it's pretty hard to convince yourself to wake up at 10 am just to pack into a bar to drink and eat questionable food all day when the payoff is just a (reasonably cool) t-shirt.

SPEAKING of t-shirts, here is one the funniest comeback fads that I've seen in a while. I know that I'm not one to judge - not when I wear my 'I'd hit that'/'Erotica Tectonica' t-shirt - but holy crap, you'd think that Wham! reunited and re-released 'Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go' as a hit iTunes single/ringtone/dance remix/mashup/charity work.

Considering the typical wearer of said costume - high school age girls (17 and under here) - you have to wonder if they even know who Wham! was, let alone their songs. Hell, I wasn't even alive when they existed - the duo broke up in June of 1986, 6 months before I was born - but at least I was a teenager (16) when I Love the '80s came out (they were 12). Clearly I am justified in my argument. Sane, too. Anyway, these shirts are pretty popular here in Dunedin (I'd take the photos on George St. to prove it, but that would be pretty creepy), so now I'm just waiting for the day when cutoff denim vests are in fashion, because then I'll be in business.

No comments: