Sunday, October 7, 2007

Best. Billboard. Ever.

I've never been the biggest billboard fan. After all, I grew up in one of four states that prohibits them - Alaska, Hawaii and Maine are the others - and I was pretty glad that the gaudiest sign I had to look at growing up was this one, but mostly just because it meant I'd crossed the river into West Lebanon, a bastion of congestion and commercialization.

Anyway, I've had to change my ways since going to school in L.A., obviously, and I can appreciate good advertising, which leads me to this incredible billboard. It's just two blocks south of my flat, on the side of the main northbound road through Dunedin, outside 'The Bowler,' a bar, and Video Ezy, a movie rental place.

I love this sign for a number of reasons, but it's mostly because it just has so much going on, on either side. The older ad on this sign is for Tui, a brewery from the North Island that makes what's probably the second-most popular student bar beer here, next to Speight's (a Dunedin brew, see more here). As a beer, it's alright, although I've got to admit I've never seen anything other than their East India Pale Ale. It doesn't matter though, because they've got the best advertising campaign I've seen - the left side of the ad has some 'rational' phrase or declaration, simply white text on black, and to the right, 'Yeah, right.' It's hilarious, simple and effective, especially since they cater to the area they're in - hence the flatmates statement. To add to the greatness, don't miss the graffiti below it too.

The newest addition to this board is on the other side. Actually, it's more of an alteration, but an extremely timely one that gives it a whole new dimension. For some more back story on this, go here, but just as soon as the riots happened, the Bowler plastered this gem up. Not really much more to say about it, but for those here who know about the riots (that would be everybody) it's fantastic. Doesn't make me want to go to the Bowler any more than before though - it's probably the #1 or 2 destination for Dunedin high schoolers on weekends. Blegh.

1 comment:

lisysomna said...

Really great news!!! this information is well worth looking everyone. Good tips. I will be sharing this with all of my friends! Thank you for sharing valuable information.
________________________
Plakatwerbung